Saturday 28 September 2019 – Dennistoun Thistle 1 – 1 Mearns (7 – 8 on penalties)
Overlee Playing Fields– KO 10am

Today we faced Mearns in the first round of the Fraser Trophy. The Fraser Trophy is a cross division cup in the Churches league where all teams compete to be the winner. The first round saw us drawn against Division 1 opposition, Mearns, so this would be a tough test for us given they were in the division above and a well established team. Coming off the success in the Athol Cup the lads were confident going into it and were willing to go out there and see what they could do.

The game was tricky from the get go with battles across the park, both teams pushing forward and getting sent back wanting. It was physical too with some pretty tasty tackles being dished out by both sets of players. It took until 44 mins into the game before this deadlock was broken and Aldo got on the end of a ball to header it into the net and allow us to take the lead just before half time.

After the break the game continued much in the same way with both teams having lots of chances and the battle continued. A challenge and a bit of mistaken identity saw one of our players get a second yellow and have to hit the showers early. Then inside the last 10 mins Mearns equalised. Both teams were then pushing to get the winner. This resulted in a Mearns player also seeing red and both teams finishing the game with 10 men. Full time came and as the score was 1 each the rules of the cup meant that it would go straight to penalties.

This was our first attempt at penalties as a team, but we were ready for it. Penny went up first and cooly slotted his away, followed by Mearns who did the same. Further penalties from Aldo, Gaitens, Mick, Nicol all hit the back of the net, as did mearns so that meant at the end of 5 it was still all even.

Sav stepped forward to take the 6th and scored, followed by Mearns, then Dills, who did the same, followed by another Mearns penalty taking it to 7-7. Wee Dills stepped up next to take our 8th and missed, leaving it up to Mearns to score their next penalty, which they did, and that took them through to the next round of the Fraser Trophy and putting us out of the competition.

Disappointing to lose in this way, but with penalties anything can happen. Definitely lots of learning points from today’s game to take away and work on, but given the higher level opposition we certainly didn’t put on a bad show of ourselves. We wish Mearns all the best with the rest of the competition and the season ahead.

Next week sees the start of our league as we welcome Woodhill to Whitehill Pitch for our first game of the campaign.

Full time score: Dennistoun Thistle 1 – 1 Mearns – Mearns win 8 – 7 on penalties

Man of the Match Awards sponsored by Martins Garage

MOTM Opposition Choice – Aldo Hunter – sponsored by Sandy Nicoll
MOTM Manager Choice – Mick Allen – sponsored by (He’s still looking!)


Stay in the know as the season progresses! Get all the latest news on FacebookTwitter and Instagram